The upstairs demo is moving right along. I've gotten over the self leveler on the floor problem and moved on to other things. As the demo progresses, I just keep finding more and more goofy "fixes" or unskilled DIY projects from the previous tenants. Hopefully it is truly unskilled DIY and not actual contractors that did this... If you hire a contractor, make sure to get references and actually have some concept of what work they will be doing, what steps they need to take, and how the finished product is supposed to look. Anyway, I snapped some pics of the overall demo so far and some things that I've run into.
So the trim in this room turned out to be ripped down plywood... real nice.
This was part of a drywall/plywood/osb/drywall sandwich wall... Imagine my surprise.
Door framing or random pieces of wood.. and this is after I had already pulled off three pieces! Seriously who does this.
...Smashed into little tiny pieces... and that destroyed hope started to turn into worry when I got to this corner... From bottom to top, this flooring layer sandwich is mdf/ shingle layers/ 2 osb layers/ self leveler/ plywood/ glue down laminate... yay. When I was under the house this is the corner where I had to replace the rotted joists. I'm afraid I'll have to open the floor all the way and see what shape the 2nd story floor joists are in...
Demo so far.. ("Closet Room")
Thats all for now. Stay tuned for more destruction and surprises when I tear into the old walls and rip up the floors!!